Suitable for the production of a wide range of sweet yeast goods. Bun Pre-mix is recommended for producing soft buns of excellent volume where extended keeping qualities are required. This Pre-mix is designed with the extra tolerance that is necessary for successful dough retardation.
Unbleached Wheaten Flour, Water, Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Iodised Salt, Yeast, Emulsifier (481), Ascorbic Acid, Mineral Salt (516), Enzyme, Vitamin (Thiamine, Folic Acid)
Allergens – Contains Gluten
Nutritional Information – per 100g
|Fat – Total
|Fat – Saturated
|Carbohydrate – Total
|Carbohydrate – Sugars
1kg Bun Mix
20g (4tsp) Yeast (dry)
- Carefully weigh out dry ingredients and place in bowl. If using compressed yeast double the quantity.
- Use tempered water to provide a mixed dough temperature of 27ºC. Add all the water very quickly to ensure proper hydration. It is better to add a little flour to firm up a dough than to add water to soften it.
- Mix dough in the normal manner for your machine ensuring that the dough is actually well mixed (smooth and clear) which is very difficult if mixing small doughs in large machines. Best results are normally attained using medium to high speed mixers at their capacity.
- Add fruit on slow speed after the completion of mixing. Any liquid spices to be added are best mixed through the fruit several hours prior to adding to the dough.
- If you want a good quality product always provide at least 10 minutes rest after mixing. Ensure that you avoid skinning of the dough which will produce streaks in the finished product.
- Scale or divide into required unit weights. Round or shape the dough pieces and allow to recover for another 10 minutes, again avoiding skinning by covering if necessary.
- Mould into desired shapes and place in appropriate tin or on trays.
- Bake buns and smaller units at 200ºC until baked (15 – 20 minutes). Bun loaves and heavier units may need to be baked at 180°C – 190ºC for up to 40 minutes to ensure they are baked.
Hot Cross Buns
1 kg Laucke Bun Mix
30g Dry Yeast (6 tsp)
15g Dried Mixed Spice (2tsp)
200g Mixed Dried Fruit (Sultanas, Currants & Mixed Peel – optional)
CROSS MIX INGREDIENTS
100g Cross Mix
70g Margarine – softened to room temperature
BUN GLAZE INGREDIENTS
- To make your dough using a suitable kitchen mixer with a dough hook, add the Sweet Bread & Bun Mix, mixed spice, dry yeast and water to the mixing bowl.
- Knead on a slow speed for 2 minutes and then increase to medium for another 8-10 minutes or until the dough is soft and supple.
- Add the mixed dried fruit to the dough and mix on a slow speed until well combined.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, and place on a bench that is lightly dusted with flour. Using a knife or pastry cutter divide your dough into 100 g bun portions. Using your hands in a cupping motion round each bun portion into a ball.
- Place each of the buns on a pre-greased baking or silicone mat prepared tray. Leave enough room between each bun for expansion (approximately 5 mm). Align the buns straight in both directions as this will make piping the crosses easier.
- Cover the buns with a cloth or plastic cling film, and place in a warm spot to proof for 45-60 minutes, or until the buns have expanded and are touching together.
- Preheat oven to 200⁰C conventional or 180⁰C fan forced.
- While the buns are proofing, prepare the Cross Mix, in a small bowl mix all ingredients for the Cross Mix together to form a smooth lump free paste. Avoid over mixing if using Wallaby Bakers Flour as this may cause the paste to become stringy and difficult to pipe. Add the Cross Mix to a piping bag that utilises a small plain nozzle.An alternative to using a piping bag is spooning the Cross Mix into a snap lock or strong plastic bag. Snip off one corner to make a 3 mm hole.
- When the buns have proofed, take your piping bag and carefully pipe crosses onto the buns.
- Bake buns in a preheated oven at 200⁰C conventional or 180⁰C fan forced for approximately 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.DO NOT OVER BAKE, as this will reduce softness and may spoil appearance.
- While the buns are baking prepare your Bun Glaze.
- Add the Bun Glaze ingredients to a small saucepan on your stovetop, and simmer until the sugar has fully dissolved.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the glaze on to the buns as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Allow to cool or enjoy warm with butter.